Cat Adoption Team (CAT) to Celebrate Black Cat Appreciation Day – Friday, August 17Comments Off
Black Cat/Kitten Adoption ONLY $17 at Cat Adoption Team!
Black cats need to be appreciated every day but believe it or not there is a special day all for them: Black Cat Appreciation Day – August 17. CAT is celebrating with reduced adoptions that day.
When: Friday, August 17, from 11 am – 7 pm
Where: Cat Adoption Team: 14175 SW Galbreath Dr., Sherwood OR http://www.catadoptionteam.org/
What: Adoption fees for black or mostly black cats and kittens reduced to $17!
Good and evil mythology surrounds black cats. While there may not be a difference between a black cat and a tabby, behavior wise, there does seem to be some mystical differences.
- In Asia and the United Kingdom, a black cat is considered lucky.
- In 16th century Italy, it was believed that if a black cat lay on the bed of a sick man, he would die.
- A common folk cure for a sty on the eyelid was to rub it with the tail of a black cat.
- In Yorkshire, it may be lucky to own a black cat, but unlucky to have one cross your path.
- According to Scottish lore, a black cat on a porch brings prosperity to the homeowner.
- In the African American hoodoo tradition, black cats are considered good luck in matters of sports and gambling, particularly with card games and the lottery.
- In Yorkshire, if a sailor’s wife kept a black cat, her husband would always return safely from the sea; this sometimes led to black cats being stolen.
According to ScienCentral.com, the seemingly common black fur is actually a quite recessive gene. That means a black cat must carry two copies of the black fur gene to, indeed, be black. Talk about luck! So all of you who have and love black cats, consider yourself fortunate to be in the presence of such a genetic marvel, the black cat!
Come down to CAT’s Sherwood shelter on Friday, August 17 (open from 11 am – 7 pm) and you will find a bevy of black lucky cats waiting to go home with you. All for just $17!
Pet Press event announcement courtesy Cat Adoption Team (CAT)